Chernihiv region

Chernihiv region is located in the north of Ukraine, on the left bank of the middle reaches of the Dnieper, in the basin of the river Desna, in the north-west it borders on Belarus (Gomel region, 227 km of state border), in the north – on Russia (Bryansk region, 199 km of state border), founded 15 October 1932. The region's territory is 31.9 thousand square km or 5% of the territory of Ukraine, it is one of the largest regions in Ukraine.

The population is about 1.2 million people. The ethnic structure: Ukrainians, whose share exceeds 90%, the second-largest are Russians (6%), living mainly in cities, in third place are Byelorussians.

The administrative-territorial division of the region: 22 districts, 15 cities, including 3 of regional subordination (Chernihiv, Nizhyn, Priluki), 30 towns and 1502 villages.

Within the region there is Slavutych - the town of Chernobyl radiation workers, a special enclave, which is administratively to the Kiev region.

The administrative center is the city of Chernihiv.

Attractions of Chernihiv region:

The most interesting of them are Borisoglebsky Cathedral (XII), Antoniy Caves (XI-XVIII), The regimental treasury of XVII century, Gustinsky Holy Trinity Monastery (1600), Transfiguration Cathedral, Nicholas Church (1720), cave temple of St. Feodosiy Totemsky, Cathedral of the Nativity (1800), historical-cultural reserve “Kachanivka”, George Church (XIX), arbor of composer Glinka with grotto, arboretum “Trostianets”(XIX) with its unique collection of plants, mound necropolis (IX-X), “Black Grave” (X), Sokirinetsky palace and park ensemble of XIX century.

Among the most famous historical cities in Chernihiv region is Liubich, Novgorod-Seversky, Nizhyn, Baturin.

Liubich is mentioned in 907 in the contract of the Prince Oleg with the Byzantine Empire, with the old cities such as Kiev, Chernihiv, Pereyaslav, Polotsk. Byzantine Emperor Constantine mentioned about Liubich as trading town with a port in 949 in the treatise "About the reign of the empire."

The crucial events of the Old-Russian history are associated with Liubich. Malusha, Olga’s housekeeper, mother of Vladimir I Svyatoslavich was born in Liubich. During the fight against his brother Yaropolk, Vladimir fled to Varyags but in 980 he returned and nearly defeated the squad of Yaropolk near Liubich. In 1016, there took place the battle in which Prince Yaroslav the Wise from Novgorod defeated the army of his half-brother, the prince of Kiev Svyatopolk the Damned.

St. Anthony Pecherskiy was born here - one of the most famous religious figures of Kievan Rus, the founder of monasticism in the Eastern Slav lands. Even in his younger years he dug a cave on the slope of Liubich mountains, on the place of which later appeared Antoniy monastery that existed for several centuries. After a long stay on Mount Athos, in 1051 the hermit Antony dwelt in a cave on a hill in Kiev that year is considered the date of the foundation of Kievo-Pecherska Lavra Monastery.

In 1097 in Liubich castle there was held the famous Congress of ancient princes, where they negotiated an end to civil wars and declared the principle of ownership by each prince inherited lands.

In 1147 Liubich was burnt by Rostislav Mstislavovich, in 1157 - devastated by Polovtsy, and after the invasion of Batu in 1239-40, Liubich was completely desolated.

A significant role Liubich played later – in the era of the Cossacks, in 1648 it became the center of a Cossack regiment of Kiev, Bogdan Khmelnitsky made the city the name of the ranking of Chernigov colonels, in times of Mazepa the city belonged to Hetman. After 1708 it became the property of the family Polubotok, and later - Miloradovich.

September 30, 2007 Liubich city in Chernigov region was 1125 years old, from April 20, 2007 Liubich city was awarded the Order “For service to the Fatherland (Holy Grand Prince Dmitry Donskoy, and the Reverend Father Superior Sergei Radonezhskiy)” III degree. 

From those distant times there remained the parts of the castle, as well as preserved buildings of later times. However Liubich is famous not only for the monuments of history and architecture, but also it attracts tourists with picturesque vicinities of the Dnieper, which are the perfect place to relax.


Copyrights 2021
All rights reserved


Ukraine, Kiev: 01032, Symona Petliury st. 20, of.2
Tel. +38 (044) 2464477 / Tel. +38 (044) 5013228 / fax + 38 (044) 2354898
Ukraine, Lviv: Striyskaya st. 109, Road station- 2 floor
tel. +38 (0322) 640957 / phone-fax +38 (0322) 642675
Spain, Barcelona, bus station "Barcelona-Nord", hall "À", desk 29. 
08013 Barcelona, Carrer d'Alí Bei, 80, tel. +34 696 07 99 49. 
Created by